Monday, January 20, 2014

Me Too


Jeffrey R. Holland- Carston's anxiety/ocd/adhd



     A few days ago I posted a long post about my mental illness.  I deleted it because I decided it was too depressing, TMI, and too long (have you noticed it takes me a lot of words to say anything? LOL! That is one reason why I haven't considered tweeting. And I am working on shorter blog posts). 
    I would rather my blog be positive, happy, uplifting but at the time I was really struggling with depression.  At that moment I needed to express that. Thank you to those of you who left me a comment or emailed me.  I needed you.  You are part of my support group.  Kind words are important and I thank you for them.   
     Maybe that post was "too much" but I have never hidden my mental illness because maybe I could help someone like many people have helped me.  When I worked at the library at different times two co-workers committed suicide.  I decided that maybe if they had known I struggled with the same sort of things maybe they could have talked to me and maybe things would have been different. 
    I will never, ever, never commit suicide.  I just think of my family .... children, grandchildren, sister, nieces. I would not do that to them.
    I think one of our purposes here on this earth is to help each other.  Today I read these words below on a blog I read ... Hands Free Mama ... and they had special meaning for me. I am going to add her link below but if you don't click on the link for her excellent post at least read these words of hers:
    
"Speak your difficult truths.
Invite someone in on your struggles.
Admit things are not as easy as they look.
And if someone admits a mistake, a fear, or a failure, offer up an honest, “Me too.”
To reveal who you truly are gives someone else the permission to do the same. And when two people meet in the loving light of realness, that camaraderie becomes a protective shield—one that can keep you standing even when life’s harshest attacks try to knock you down."

      Today I am feeling better.  I am looking at what I need to do to keep on the "feel better" path.  I am a strong woman and I plan to live to a 100.  Oh, did you see the cute little 94 year old woman on The Today Show this morning?  I will find it for you.  She is amazing but I am not going to try eating her favorite things.  The hosts on Today Show all tried her favorite foods and I thought they were all going to puke!
    Another thing that has really helped me is listening to a message about mental illness by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I cut and pasted his quote from Pinterest ... that is it up there at the beginning of this post.  His message has been like the balm of Gilead for me.  His tender, sweet, kind words have given me a rope to hang on to.
    Here are the three links that touched me.  I hope you have time for them and find them helpful as well. 
here is Olga, the 94 year old...   http://www.today.com/health/what-makes-olga-run-lessons-94-year-old-track-star-2D11947816
 
Hands Free Mama's excellent post
http://www.handsfreemama.com/2014/01/20/one-bold-move-two-healing-words/

 A Broken Vessel ... Jeffrey R. Holland speaks about MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) which is my diagnosis.  Elder Holland is a leader in my church and this is a Christian message.
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng&query=

and lastly, my favorite quote that I try to live by .... it is at the bottom of my email messages ...
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Greek author & philosopher in Athens (427 BC - 347 BC)
And Heaven to Betsy, this is another long post .... evidently I can't write a short post for anything.
Thank you for coming here.  Thank you for being my friend.  If you are a blogger let me know where to read your posts.  Have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you are having a better day. I do not have experience with that kind of life long struggle. Mine are minor in comparison. But yes, we all have our own battles to fight, and our good days and not so good days.
    Through your suffering you have become strong. And in reaching out to others you tap into their strength too. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it perfectly ... in reaching out to others you tap into their strength. Some days I just need that little bit of help.

      Delete
  2. I too am so glad you are doing better. You did have me concerned.
    Plato's words I I try to remember. You can't just look at someone and think their world is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth ... no matter how good their life looks there is always something and we all have a cross or two to bear. I am working at getting better. I sure want to be. Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree - I think there are so many people out there suffering and it is so hard for them to ask for help or admit who they are or what they are suffering. And when you kind of get to the other side - one is much stronger! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That which does not kill us only makes us stronger. :) Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  4. I had read your post but found it was gone when I went back to comment. I tend to let things rattle around a bit before making a comment. It sounds as though you are handling depression on your terms, you have learned how to deal. I have had a couple of episodes of major depression in the past and I know that it is something that can always be out there threatening with its ugly, gloomy thunderhead. You are very strong, very brave to share, and a good example for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ugly, gloomy thunderhead" -- such a good description. I am trying to handle it the best I can with the help available. Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  5. So well said about reaching out to others. Whether it is a serious life issue or day to day coping sharing our challenges with someone else can be a balm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true ... it doesn't have to just be big things, a lot of little things can pile up and overwhelm us or just one out of the blue thing, like a flat tire, that can make us need a little support or word of encouragement.

      Delete