Sunday, May 25, 2014

22 Things To Know Before Moving to Amarillo

I saw this on Facebook ... 22 Things You Need To Know Before Moving to Amarillo.  You can click on the link if you like.  I can think of numerous things you really ought to know ... like what to do when the tornado sirens go off, how to keep your car on the road when the wind is blowing 60 mph, or how to avoid being burned by your seat belt & steering wheel in the summer but they didn't mention those.  I will add some comments on some of the things they did list.

http://www.movoto.com/amarillo-tx/moving-to-amarillo-texas/
       Amarillo has a population of about 200,000 but it is still a small town.  This list was put together by a real estate company in California but they hit most things on the head (got it right).
     Remember a few posts ago I said the drought in the Texas panhandle doesn't have an effect on just us Texans.  If it doesn't rain enough we can't grow hay to feed the cattle so there are fewer cattle, then cattle prices go up and your hamburger is more costly...  item # 1 says "Today, a quarter of the U.S. beef supply is processed in the panhandle."  ("the panhandle" is the top narrow part of Texas consisting of 26 counties and probably more cows than people.  That "more cows than people" is not official, I'm just sayin', but we do have a lot of ranches and feedlots here.  Amarillo is the largest city in the panhandle)    Probably the most famous Amarillo restaurant is "The Big Texan."  I have never been out there. I wanted to take my son there before he moved to Seattle but he said why would he want to do something tourist-y.  Oh-kay.  Anyway, my favorite meal is pinto beans with cornbread, onion & chow-chow but my second favorite meal is a sirloin cooked extra well done.  Beef, it's whats for dinner. That is THE slogan here.   (At my house only sometimes.  I probably have beef maybe twice a week and then it is most likely hamburger)
      Item # 2 .... my daughter-in-law works at Tyler's BBQ and she makes the best potato salad, as well as cole slaw, cobbler, beans, green chili mac & cheese.   That is her boss,Tyler, in the big hat.  Last year Tyler's was named one of the top 50 bbq places in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine.  In Texas we like having braggin' rights.  I love their chopped brisket sandwiches.  If you ever pass through Amarillo stop and have one.
      Item # 7 ... some time I am going to drive around town and take photos of all the artsy horses to show you.  They add some color to our town.
      Item # 8 ... Hmm, I have never seen a live armadillo.  And not even a dead armadillo in green grass, just on the side of the road.
      Item # 9 ... I don't know where they took that photo of the Osprey but not here....out at the airport it is flat as a pancake and not a tree like those in sight.  Back in March I mentioned being out on the balcony of my daughter's apartment when an Osprey flew over, fairly low.  I love to see them. 
item # 10 ... they wrote this obviously before the National Weather Service named us the windiest city in the country.  
      Item # 11 ... if you have been here very long you will know someone that works at the Pantex plant.  It is a big employer.  Security is very tight so don't expect to go out and get a tour.  You can't even get close.  Bombs and all.
      Item # 12 ... I live on tortilla chips and Tascosa Picante Sauce.  Yummy!
      Item # 16 ... my son was a barista at the 806 before he moved to Seattle.  The 806 is a little coffee shop like no other in the world on the old Route 66 here.  (806 is our area code)
      Item # 19 ... about 25 miles south of town you will be driving along on the flat, bare prairie and all of a sudden the earth drops off into this huge, huge canyon.  Palo Duro Canyon is the prettiest spot in Texas. 

11 comments:

  1. You should be employed by the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce. Now give us some pictures to go with this grand tour:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You were suppose to look at the photos on that link! I do plan to take photos of the artsy horses though. They are all over town.

      Delete
  2. I doubt that there will ever be an article about the things you need to know about Jericho, VT. Or maybe I should write it. I enjoyed the tour of your city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for "visiting" Amarillo. We think it is a pretty nice plae. Please do write about your town and take photos. I will never see it any other way.

      Delete
  3. I lived in West Texas many years ago so some of what you say is familiar to me. I agree that the Chamber of Commerce could use your skill in describing your town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to Amarillo, but have heard stories about it. DH was in that area years ago... on a hunting trip, I believe. I think he mentioned 'the smell of cattle'... but I could be wrong. And like you, I would love to live in the mountains, or by water... but my kids are here in Texas. Moved from Louisiana to Florida in 1968, then to Texas in 1971... and I like it here... but do miss being around water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I said in another comment the other day that once upon a time I worked in the office at a cattle feedyard and I said something about the smell and my boss said that was the smell of money! Every time I have passed a feedyard or smelled cow poop in the wind I have thought of that!

      Delete
  5. My brother Mike was born in Amarillo. My son in law was born and raised in Amarillo! I have a brother buried there also. My mother said she loved living there. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a small world. Amarillo is a pretty nice place to be. The day I pulled over to take the photo of the irrigation system it just took a second for me to get my camera out of my purse but before I even got it out of the case a farmer driving behind me pulled up next to me, rolled his window down and asked if I needed help. That is how people are here.

      Delete
  6. I followed the link, saw the pictures and now I get it. fun post!

    ReplyDelete