Sunday, October 13, 2013

Maybe It Is Just My Depression

Our Best Chocolate Birthday Cake RecipesI know someone who will be 104 next month.  I tried to find a birthday card for her.  Have you ever tried to find a card for someone that old? Her friends and family have all passed on except a daughter who has shut her out of her life. Most birthday cards say something like "may this be your happiest birthday yet", "and may you have many more" (well, we can't even pretend that will happen--many more birthdays), "enjoy your special day" (she most likely will have no visitors in the facility where she lives, it will just be another long day), "live it up"---I guess it was just me but each card I read made me more depressed.  Humorous cards would not be for her. The religious cards didn't seem to fit either.  I finally found one that would do but it just made me sad.
I won't be seeing much of my granddaughter soon. I am very sad.  I have taken care of my granddaughter while her parents worked for 2 & a half years, since she was 6 months old. She has been with me 4 days a week. Her little brother is due any day and I thought her mom was going to stay home with the kids after he comes but now they tell me she is going back to work in December. Physically and mentally I just am not up to taking care of a newborn and a 3 year old for 11 hours a day, 4 days a week. I just can't. I just can't, no matter how much I would like to keep them.  My son & daughter-in-law insist they can't cut back on the hours, that is just life.  I know the other grandparents seldom see my granddaughter and that is how it will be for me once my DIL goes back to work and the kids go to daycare. 
If I were a crayon today I would be a blue one.

8 comments:

  1. No advice for a situation such as this. Grandparents have low status unless they are prepared to sacrifice much of their own existence on behalf of the children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could do one or two days -- I know that would kill me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope after being home with her two little ones for 6 weeks my DIL will decide to just stay home with them. That way I can go play for a few hours and come home. :)

      Delete
  3. The lady would have someone on her birthday if you would go visit her for just a little while. Take a balloon, a cupcake, your card and have a good time. It would be a great blessing to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here comes the usual .02, and that's all its worth. Their other Grandma should take care of your new grandson to keep them out of daycare. All he will need is to be worn in a baby wrap, fed, changed, and told how wonderful and precious he is every time he opens his eyes. It isn't like they would be together as siblings in a daycare either, since they are kept in separate rooms all day long. -cries for all of you-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has 3 grandmas, me, my ex's wife who is a teacher thus can't, and the other lives 100 miles away. I bawled all afternoon and then decided enough of that, what happens is what happens. DIL has a friend her age with a child a year or two older than Taylor who has offered to keep them.

      Delete