Monday, June 16, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over....With Mostly Wonderful Things

      I am so excited ....   my son is coming home for a visit!  My son is coming, my son is coming! Boy, how I have missed him!  When he left for Seattle last year I really never expected to see him again.  We are not people of financial means to do whatever we want, when we want, like trips across the country.  I really thought I would never see him again.  I cried for months.  I knew it was where he needed to be but oh, my, that is a long way away.  About that time I started this blog. 
      He would not be able to come home now if it weren't for his super dooper wonderful friend who is helping with the price of his plane ticket to come home for a mutual friend's wedding.  He will just be here a few days since he can't afford to miss more than a few days' work but I will be thrilled to see him for any amount of time.  His plane lands July 17th!
     I am on track for an apartment July 11th (but most likely sooner), have been approved, and they accepted my deposit.  I took it sight unseen (although the floor plan is just like my daughter's), 712 sq feet, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, ground floor (oh thank you, Lord ... I could not picture my knees lasting very long carrying groceries and big dog food bags up a flight of stairs).  The complex was built in 2012 and very nice.  The apartment I will be getting has a braille plaque near the door so I asked if it is a handicapped unit.  It is --- not for physically challenged folks but for blind and hearing impaired tenants!  I'm hearing impaired!  Was this suppose to be "my" apartment or what!?  I don't know exactly how it is equipped, I will find out when I can actually sign the lease when the current tenant moves out, and we do a walk-through.  Just waiting on the current tenants to move out at the end of June, the carpet to be cleaned and whatever else might need doing.  And one of the best perks?  I will have access to internet again.  My daughter has it and her apartment is one flight up and one apartment over.  If I can not access my daughter's internet from my apartment I can always run up to her apartment and use it.  You can not imagine how I have missed the internet. 
     I mentioned my family Dr running some tests and the lab work came back that my liver numbers were just sky high crazy in April and May?  My family Dr had the blood tested 3 times and used two labs just to be sure since I have never had a problem before.  Since I don't drink, and never have, liver damage was the last thing this grandma ever expected.  Went to the mental health clinic last week, took the lab work from my family Dr, and they feel for sure it is the drug I am taking, which they prescribed - oh, probably 2 or 3 years ago AND NEVER RAN LAB WORK TO MAKE SURE I AM OK.  Oh, sure, NOW they are alarmed.  I have to get off of it.  Cut my dosage in half (which has caused some problems .... dizziness mostly ... well, that and the serious lack of help with my depression and anxiety ... and now while I am looking at packing up, moving, selling my house is not the time to be in the depths of depression ... what a heck of a time to be under a lot of stress AND have my meds cut in half) and they gave me a prescription for Abilify to help with the dosage I am now taking for the next month (tapering off).  I have seen those commercials and ads in every magazine I have picked up lately (except for New Mexico Magazine) so I was familiar at least with the name.  Guess what those 30 pills run?  $978.00.  LOL! My social security disability check for the month is not that much --- ya think I left Walgreens with a bottle??!  I do have medicare and a supplemental insurance policy for pharmacy so it would have only cost me $193 for 30 pills but still way beyond my reach.  (remember I gave up internet service when it went up to $40 because that was an unnecessary & expensive luxury)   I will be emailing the clinic next and saying "Seriously? Do you know how much this drug costs??"   LOL! At Walgreens I was also buying the cheapest toothbrush they had, a dollar one.  After giving me the bad news about the prescription cost and me telling her I would just be taking the toothbrush the lady at the pharmacy counter said "listen, honey, we are going to use your Reward Points, you can have the toothbrush for the tax... that will be 8 cents!"  I blessed her heart and she blessed my heart!  :)  ... a Southern thing, I'm told.  a P.S.---My caseworker is working on finding out what to do with me next re: medications.  It will all work out in the end. 
       My sweet grandkids keep me entertained and busy.  The baby is crawling really well (and fast) -- he is 7 months old --and wants to walk so bad.  He can walk several steps if we let him hold our fingers. It is way too soon for him to be walking, but I think he must look at us and think no one else is crawling around on the floor. I would rather he wait about 6 months,at least, before he starts walking.  He is hard enough to keep up with as it is now. The 3 year old has more energy than the Energizer Bunny - wish I could tap into that!  Best baby and toddler since their older cousins were that age.  :) My two older grandsons look up from their electronics long enough to say "I'm hungry!" every 15 minutes or so.  Boys --- they are bottomless pits when it comes to feeding them.  I only see the older boys every other week.  Actually the 12 and 13 year old boys are good, good kids and are a big help to play with the 3 year old.  You should see those big boys playing tea party and making their cousin happy.  They are real good about keeping the baby happy too.  They will even play card games and dominoes with me when we don't have the little ones with us.   
     I have met the woman who lives in the apartment above "mine" and she seems real nice.  About my age.  Her dog, a schnauzer, is named Zoe.  My dog is half schnauzer and named Zoe.  I am a little worried about how my Zoe will adapt to apartment life but we will see.  She is a pretty laid back dog and a sweet girl so maybe it won't be too bad teaching her to not bark at everyone who goes by, and to do her business on a leash.
    I need to get back home and back to sorting, packing and pricing.  Later in the month I am having a yard sale.  The apartment comes with a washer and dryer so I will need to sell mine, as well as my freezer.  I don't need "things" so I am hoping to sell the little I do have so I can move in my van, and not have to hire movers.  I have packed my kitchen and bathroom, took a whopping 4 medium size boxes.  I left out 2 bowls, 2 spoons, 2 glasses and plan to eat cereal and sandwiches until I move (I have a good lunch at my daughter's 4 days a week.)  My clothes will fit in one box I bet.  That leaves a lot of "junk" to sort through.   I doubt my bedroom suite sells so I may have to move that, but it is a queen set and will fill up the apartment bedroom so I am really hoping it sells.  My round table and chairs are too large to fit in the little "dining room area" so that needs to sell as well.  My dining room will be the playroom.  My living room furniture is going in the garage sale as well.  Hopefully I can get a bit of money to buy new living room furniture.  I DO have lots of toys ... mostly garage sale finds.  Look what I got for $5 for my little grandson!!!! Yes, this Fisher-Price sort-of-a-walker thing for $5.  Have I said I love garage sales??
All we had to do is wash it and disinfect it to be on the safe side.  It has a fabric seat that snaps onto the purple circle.  The seat is currently in the washer. I may not be able to use it for a long time but at least for several months it will corral him long enough for me to go in the kitchen to make him a bottle or something.     
   

17 comments:

  1. My goodness, that's a lot of news, good and bad. I'm hoping you get the medication issue figured out so you can save your liver AND your sanity!
    There is lots to be thankful for in all this news - son's visit, ground floor apartment, daughter near by, neighbors. Good luck on your sale!
    You sure are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have internet! In the midst of moving in but just had to check in! I have missed reading all my internet friends' posts but will catch up this coming week. Meanwhile I have to unpack some boxes! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Your life sounds like a whirlwind right now. I hope that everything works out for you. The price of medications is out of control and what works for one thing aggravates something else. Then something new is added to counter one side effect and cause two more. but on the whole, your news is good! Enjoy your son's visit and the new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whirlwind is correct! I am in the middle of moving right now but so tickled to have the internet back I had to stop and check on my internet friends. I will be back to posting soon!

      Delete
  3. If my son was so far away from me I would die. He is close enough to come here almost every weekend and take care of things around my place. My daughter too is close. If I had not married Ron, I would be in your exact circumstances but he left me with a nice retirement living. I have lived in government subsidized housing and it is very nice with a lot depending on your neighbors. With your daughter close you will have a good situation. Your are to be admired. Enjoy your brief time with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie --- just read your post about your upcoming trip. I hope it is a fantastic trip for you and you breeze through security! I am so tickled to have internet again .. I have missed hearing from you guys and reading my "net friends' posts. Should be all moved this weekend and unpacked. Glad to get it over with!!!

      Delete
  4. Good luck for a good outcome with all that you have going on right now. It sounds like the apartment will be perfect for you. Such good news that you get to see your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jeanie .. love hearing from you. I am partially moved and hope to be finished later today and I HAVE INTERNET!!! I have missed my 'net friends! love love love this apartment!

      Delete
  5. Yay for the good, for your son coming home and your apartment approval, with internet! Yay for nice people that take a moment to think with their hearts! I hope the doctors are able to get their act together and get your liver healed. That is just too worrisome! {{{Hugs}}} across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those across the miles hugs. I need them. Now I am having heart issues. Had a chest xray, ekg, and echocardiogram this week....and got partly moved! My son can help me finish moving later today. Love my new apartment and my other son will be here in 12 days. Life is good! Hope things are going well for you. Send me an email!

      Delete
  6. Do you live a Target pharmacy you could get those medication you need for little money for a 90 day supply, we use Kaiser out here I get all my medications 4 of them at Target in generic form and pay $10.00 each or less, used to be $6.00 or less, they went up a tiny amount..they put me on the roto refill and I get them automatically when I need them, the best part is after so many prescriptions they send you a 5% off shopping coupon and many target coupons one can combine with other mfg coupons to really get the prices down...It is just a suggestion, COSTCO has a pharmacy one doesn't need any membership to get one's prescriptions there and I am told cheaper than Target is, if you can believe it..Walgreens gives a big discount if one is associated to AARP to boot, if you have a AARP card you get a big discount, I would not get my prescriptions from Wags as I call Walgreens just tooooo expensive and Target will have you signed up and ready to go even telling you how much your 90 day supply will be each prescription, go and see for yourself, if you are near a COSTCO you will save even more...Enjoy your visit with your son, God's Blessings! ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have a Costco anywhere near here. I do have AARP and my suplemental ins is cheap but only pharmacy I can use it at in my location is Walgreens. I am in the middle of moving but I will be back soon as I will have internet! Thanks for your advice and stop back by sometime. I will be able to post soon. :)

      Delete
  7. Not to be too nosy, but were you on Paxil? I'm trying to get off it myself right now.

    You might try selling your living room furniture on Craigslist... or you could give it away on freecycle.org... Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not Paxil... Cymbalta.....which I loved because it controlled the nerve pain in my feet. I don't think I know you but have a wonderful weekend and stop back by some time. I will have internet at the apartment! Whoo-hoo!
      I have missed it.

      Delete
  8. Betsy, it has been a long time since you have posted, and I would like to know if you are all right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a lot on your plate and were looking forward to seeing your son. But you have not been back in awhile and I am wondering if all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that's what they call 'Southern hospitality'! Anyway, I hope you find a way to buy your medicine in an affordable price. While your insurance may help offset the costs even more, your caseworker should be hard at work in finding better ways to help you. Good luck!

    Jason Hayes @ DECO Recovery Management

    ReplyDelete