Saturday, November 23, 2013

Christmas Books for Adults

      I know, Thanksgiving is not even here yet, but at my home it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  It snowed today.  Right now it is 25 degrees outside, but with the wind chill it feels like 13 degrees.  It is dark outside or I would take a photo of our first snow.  It is a perfect evening for a fire in your fireplace if you have one, a cup of hot chocolate, and a good book.
       One of my Christmas traditions is to reread some of the Christmas books I have listed below.  I try to read them all but I always read the first two titles.  I love them.  If your library has these two little books I hope you check them out and enjoy them as much as I do.  They are very slender books, as are some of the other ones listed, so it doesn't take much time to read them. Some times, wonderful things come in small packages.  Three of them are longer but worth every page.  Okay, the last one is a children's chapter book but one of my favorites. If you are not already familiar with it you might give it a try.  Really, it is OK for adults to read kids books and this is one of the funniest Christmas stories, IMHO.  Some of these titles have been made into movies.  Please know that the book is always, always, always better, and never judge a book by its movie!

*The Modern Magi ~ Carol Lynn Pearson
*A Stranger For Christmas ~ Carol Lynn Pearson
*Skipping Christmas ~ John Grisham
*The Christmas Box ~ Richard Paul Evans
*Christmas Jars ~ Jason Wright
*Gift of the Magi ~ O. Henry
*Redbird Christmas ~ Fannie Flagg
*Christmas in Harmony ~ Philip Gulley
*Esther's Gift ~ Jan Karon
*Best Christmas Pageant Ever ~ Barbara Robinson

 Do you have a favorite Christmas book?

9 comments:

  1. Are these in the fiction section? You know I haven't really visited a library much in years. I was writing them down and thought I would go to ABE books and order them. Then it dawned on me, I don't have a paycheck anymore and can't do that...lol Gotta go to the friendly library. But no paycheck is worth staying home and being retired. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Welcome to my world! I bet your library has most of them. Let me know, I'm just curious to know if they have the first two. They are just the best little books. Oh, and yes, fiction. Just as your librarian for help finding them.

      Delete
  2. I have read five of the books on your list. When I volunteer at our library tomorrow, I am going to scout out the Christmas books to put out on display. There is always a display of children's book, but not one for adults. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for being a library volunteer. When I worked at the library I worked in the children's department of a large library but I always made a display for adult books too. I made up a list of titles and added to it as more were purchased so when November came around each year I could just take my list and have a display ready in no time. I also made bookmarks of suggested titles to have with the display. There are many cozy mystery Christmas theme books, as well as other genres. Don't forget nonfiction! I think your display will fly off the shelves and your patrons will love it! Which 5 did you read and how did you like them? I really hope your library has the first two -- they are just little treasures.

      Delete
  3. SKIPPING CHRISTMAS by John Grisham was definitely a book that should not have been made into a movie. It was such a delightful and surprising tale coming from him that my sister got us all copies the first year it came out and we all loved it. The movie was a big disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any of the others on my list? I really hope your library has the first two as they are just so good.

      Delete
  4. Well I always like the Christmas Story from the Bible. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't beat the original story! And I read that one every year as well. :)

    ReplyDelete